When it comes to makeup, it can be intimidating. There are thousands of different types and brands - its hard to know where to begin! Well, we've got you covered. This is our fool proof guide to achieve natural & flawless everyday makeup.
In this blog post, we include what we think are the most important steps for effortless makeup, as well as some steps that are optional. The products we use can also be easily substituted for your own - however we find that these work best for us! That being said, lets begin!
Base Ready Skin
Getting your skin prepped and ready prior to makeup application is what is going to make or break how your makeup looks (and feels). Think of it as a pyramid... if the base layer isn't done right then the following steps won't go on evenly. This is why it is important to prep your skin first! It's a simple step but will really make a difference to your makeup result. Check out the video below:
Steps to Prep Your Skin:
1. First things first we start off with our MAC Cosmetics Face Wipes (or your preferred alternative). Wipe all over your face & neck to remove any excess oils & dirts that may be hidden on your skin. This is an important step as your face will then be clean and ready for the next products.
2. Next we go in with our Prep & Prime Spray from MAC Cosmetics and spray this evenly all over the face. This is a crowd favourite! This spray is not only a primer for your makeup, but also acts as a setting spray. It is perfect for all skin types, however you can trade this product with another that you might prefer. Keep in mind that cream primers are more heavy on your skin apposed to a spray, so they are best for dry skin types.
3. After priming we go in with our MAC Cosmetics Strobe Cream. This is an optional step, but definitely worth doing if you can! Apply this either with your hands or a foundation brush, and spread evenly on your face & neck. This product contains loads of vitamins & antioxidants, helping reduce flat or dull looking skin by giving it a subtle glow under your foundation.
Now its time for the fun part - the makeup! As we said, makeup can be intimidating and overwhelming when it comes to choosing what brand & type. However we will stick to the basics, as perfecting the simple steps is important in achieving the flawless look!
Steps for the Base:
1. Our first step for the base is the foundation. Apply an even layer on the face and neck and buff into the skin with a buffing brush. The foundation we used is the MAC Cosmetics Studio Fix Foundation with SPF 15, however you can swap this with your preferred foundation, keeping in mind that having SPF is perfect in everyday makeup as it protects you from harsh UVB Rays from the sun! *
2. Secondly we conceal under the eyes with the NARS Creamy Concealer. Apply this over dark circles or blemishes, blending it out with a small concealer brush.
3. Next we need to set the face! We like to use a loose translucent setting powder to lock your foundation & concealer in place. We use the Hourglass Translucent Powder.
* SPF is perfect for day time wear, however make note that some foundations with SPF can cause "flashback", aka the appearance of a "white cast" when a photo is taken with the flash on. Not all SPF foundations do this, however you should keep this in mind if you are planning to wear this on a night out & taking photos!
Further Defining the Face
Last but not at all least, its time to add more definition to the face! Adding these final steps to your everyday makeup routine will take your look that little bit further. In this section, we focus on highlighter, eyebrows, eyes & lips to complete the entire look! Watch the video below to see how we applied these steps:
Steps for Extra Definition:
1. After we have contoured & bronzed, its time to highlight (we used the Mecca Cosmetica Highlighter). Apply this above your cheekbone, under the arch of your brow, and on your cupids bow (above your lip). This will highlight the high points of your face, giving you more definition. (Image previously on where this should be applied).
2. Next step is the brows. For Maddi, we filled them in with a brow pencil by MAC Cosmetics. This is optional, especially if your brows are already dark and defined. However we do recommend setting them in place, for this we used a clear brow gel by MAC Cosmetics.
3. Then we went in with eyeshadow. For natural makeup, it is best to stick with warm & bronzey tones, as this is the most natural to your complexion. Apply this over the lid and blend into the crease of the eye. We used a Tarte Cosmetics Palette. Follow this with your favourite mascara and your nearly finished the look!
4. Set your makeup in place with the Prep & Prime Spray from MAC Cosmetics. This will keep your makeup on all day!
5. The final step to complete the look is lips! This is optional, however we do recommend adding a nude lip as it really brings the look together. Keep your lip colour neutral for more of an everyday look, or add a pop of colour for a fun night out! We used the shade Velvet Teddy by MAC Cosmetics.
We also stock Shanghai Suzy Lipsticks in our salon! They have great pigmentation and are vegan friendly - they have a range of colours that would be perfect for this look!
If you're lucky enough to of been blessed with some form of curls, whether they're tight, spiral, or even just natural beachy waves, this post is for you! This is your go-to guide on how to take care of your natural curls - maintaining the frizz & making the most of your hairs natural beauty.
First things first, we have to determine what type of curl you have. We like to seperate them into 3 different types, such as:
You have the tightest of tight curls!
Take a look at your curls, are they dry? Having really curly hair means you need ALOT of MOISTURE! You obviously don't need any help with creating more curl, but maybe need some help with taming the frizz.
Products We Recommend:
Our Keune CARE Curl Control Shampoo & Keune CARE Curl Control Mask
These two products are going to be PERFECT for adding lots of hydration into your hair! Replacing a conditioner with a mask is ideal for deeply moisturising dry hair, and will prove itself beneficial to you & your curls. The mask has a luxurious feel, and it adds shine & softness without adding weight to your locks.
Once you have washed and towel dried your hair, we recommend using the Anti-Frizz Serum from the ELEVEN Australia range. The serum contains argan oil which is the PERFECT frizz fighter, ideal for taming those fly-aways & adding a nice shine to your hair.
Steps to Achieve the Perfect Spiral Curls:
1. Shampoo a small amount of Keune CARE Curl Control Shampoo into your hair, rinse & repeat.**
2. Condition your hair with the Keune CARE Curl Control Mask (using approximately a 10 cent piece size). Apply this from the mid-lengths to the ends of your hair, combing this through with a wide tooth comb. Leave in your hair for 3-5 minutes then rinse.
3. After the shower, apply the ELEVEN Australia Anti-Frizz Serum, firstly make sure your hair has been combed and towel dried. Massage this through with scrunching motions.*
* Don't play with your hair too much - the more you touch it, the more "frizzy" it becomes.
** You should ALWAYS shampoo TWICE! The first shampoo removes the surface dirt & oils in your hair, and the second will give your hair a deep clean, removing any excess oils. Ideally, you should only be washing your hair every 3-4 days.
Bouncy curls! These type are still super curly, but are not as tight. If you have these curls, you may need a little help to make them more defined and less frizzy, without compromising on volume & body.
Products We Recommend:
Keune CARE Curl Control Shampoo, ELEVEN Australia Miracle Treatment & ELEVEN Australia Keep My Curl Defining Cream
The keratin protein & raspberry seed oil elements in the KEUNE Curl Control Shampoo enhances your natural curls, perfect for making them soft & bouncy.
Using the Miracle Treatment by ELEVEN Australia as well as this shampoo is vital for keeping your hair hydrated & in shape! The Miracle Treatment has 11 benefits for your hair, including frizz & flyaway control, adding shine, & enhancing natural body. This paired with the ELEVEN Australia Keep My Curl Cream will further define your luscious locks without the crunch.
Steps to Achieve Defined Bouncy Curls:
1. Shampoo using the KEUNE Curl Control Shampoo, which will be gentle yet cleansing for your beautiful curls. Making sure to shampoo twice.**
2. Condition with the KEUNE Curl Control Mask to add moisture, (applied exactly the same as described in the Spiral Curls Step 2)
3. Once hair is combed & towel dried, rub 3-6 pumps of ELEVEN's Miracle Treatment through to the ends of your hair. Keep in mind that the amount of product you apply will depend on how thick/long your hair is.
4. After adding Miracle, apply ELEVEN's Keep My Curl Defining Cream (using approximately a 10 cent piece size), scrunching this through your ends.
The choice is yours when drying your hair, whether thats letting it dry naturally or with a diffuser. If you decide to use a diffuser, make sure its on a medium speed with your head upside down, as this will help add body! ***
***Always make sure you only dry your hair 50% of the way, to let your natural curls define & settle. Don't forget that touching your hair too much will create more frizz!
Beautiful beachy waves! So many people envy this style of hair & often recreate these curls with curling irons & straighteners. Except, you're lucky enough to of been blessed with these natural beauties - so no tools needed! However you may need some advice on how to keep your waves looking effortless & beautiful.
Products We Recommend:
ELEVEN Australia's Sea Salt Spray & ELEVEN Australia's Miracle Hair Treatment
Sea Salt Spray will be your best friend! It's a light-weight spray that gives volume, thickness & beach hair texture. As described above, ELEVEN's Miracle Hair Treatment is everyone's favourite with 11 benefits your hair craves & needs! This duo is the perfect light-weight solution to define your curls.
Steps to Maintain your Beachy Waves:
1. After shampoo & conditioner, add 3-6 pumps of Miracle through to the ends of your hair. Before bed we recommend putting your hair into a plait to keep the waves in place overnight, or let you hair dry naturally & untouched.
2. In the morning, apply ELEVEN's Sea Salt Texture Spray directly onto roots for volume or onto your mid-lengths for thickness & texture. You can also add some curls with a curling wand through the front of your hair if you'd like to add more definition.
When it comes to curly hair, its best to let nature do its thing. However, using the right products & techniques will help eliminate frizz and enhance your natural style.
If you ever need help when it comes to handling your curls, we'd love to help you out & give specific advice for your hair!
You can book in for a FREE consultation with us girls by giving us a call, or ask any questions in the comments below!
We hope this blog post has helped with any of your uncertainties when it comes to having curly hair! If you have any other blogs you'd like to see from us, let us know in the comment section below!
Our next blog post will be uploaded on the 5th of May, so stay tuned!
The Blanc Girls x
For some, 2018 may have been a year of personal growth & development, but this year is the year for putting our plans into action, and getting stuff done. With that being said, 2019 is the year for channeling our inner girl boss. We are focusing on blunt cuts, pastel hair & natural makeup with a pop of colour, vibing the "we got this" look.
Pastel hair has definitely circulated in the hair industry before but 2019 is it's year to shine. Soft tones are definitely proving themselves more popular as of recent, especially with Pantone's 'Colour of the Year' being "Living Coral". If you're not sure on what Pantone is you can read a brief summary below or check out their website here.
Pantone Colour of the Year 2019
Types of Pastel Hair
The amazing thing about pastel hair is that it is so versatile! If you are feeling bold you can add colour, or if you'd like to stick to the neutrals like platinum blonde or ashy/grey then that totally works as well!
When it comes to choosing between warm & cool tones, clearly personal preference plays a huge role in decision making, but there a few things you should keep in mind:
1. Warmer tones are more "natural" looking and suit more complexions, however
2. Cooler tones will best compliment Pantone's "Living Coral" colour, especially as it becomes introduced into clothing & makeup stores.
At Blanc we offer a FREE 15 minute consultation that will be able to help you with any decision making on tones and wether this is the right trend for you!
Blunt Cuts & Bold Lips
Back to channeling our inner girl boss, having the right hairstyle is what really makes the look. We believe that blunt bobs will be a huge trend this year. Above shoulder-length hair has never been more in, and style it with some simple curls and your one step closer to achieving the ultimate look.
The "no makeup" look has been one of the biggest trends in the makeup industry for a few years now, with flawless dewy skin being the go-to. This trend won't be going anywhere anytime soon, but a pop of colour will definitely be making an appearance in everyday makeup.
The sophisticated yet "I woke up like this" vibe is the ultimate style for 2019, and we can't get enough of it! Pair this with a natural makeup look and a statement colour and you are ready to take on the year.
We hope you enjoyed this blog post - we've had so much fun creating it! We would love to hear your feedback in the comment section below!
Keep an eye out for our next post on the first Sunday of April!
The Blanc Girls x
Hey there! And welcome to our first ever blog post!
We are SO excited to be trying something a little bit different here at Blanc, creating a free space you can visit for all things hair & makeup!
We will be covering everything you need to know about hair & makeup trends, how to prepare yourself for weddings & events, as well as showing you easy styles & looks you can achieve at home.
Our goal for these blogs are to be as relatable and realistic as possible, so we'd love to know what you would like to see from us!
Whether its focusing on tutorials, or little tricks we've learnt as hairdressers, or even answering your frequently asked questions - we'd love to know! So make sure you either leave us a comment in our comment section or select an option below!
We will be uploading a blog post on the first sunday of each month, however our next upload will be next week, so stay tuned!
The Blanc Girls x
A little behind the scenes of us at the Salon...